Don’t try to outdo others. Instead, just try to do a little better each day.
When we strive to grow for good, we can find small ways to do or be better than the previous day. Take stock of your day honestly, and take joy in what you did well, but don’t turn a blind eye to where you didn’t do so well. Ask yourself how you could have done better.
Self-improvement is up to us. No one can force us to grow and improve. Only we, ourselves, can perform this task. We must own the responsibility for trying to do better.
At the end of each day, you can do a self-check. Identifying ways to improve won’t always be easy. Did we have a time where we should have done something, been a little more patient or understanding, or could we have helped someone else who was struggling?
We often realize there were a few moments or small choices we would change if we could do it again. The beautiful thing is that tomorrow is another day.
If daily retrospection isn’t easy for you, do it weekly. When you make time to do this, you are really looking after yourself and making it a priority to be the best you that you can be.
Not sure where to begin? Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- If you don’t exercise, start by doing gentle stretches or a short walk for ten minutes and then increase
- Perhaps your eating habits need tweaking. If so, plan out your meals in advance and have healthy snacks handy
- Make time for daily prayer or conversation with God, even if just to say thank you for another day
- How do you react when someone cuts you off? If you get angry, next time, brush it off and be thankful that your reaction time is keeping you safe. Perhaps they had a bad day
- Say thank you to the cashier checking you out and ask how their day is going
- Try smiling at everyone you meet throughout your day
- Stop pressing snooze on the alarm
- Find time each week to volunteer
There are many things we can do to make life better for us and for those we come into contact with. Set a goal for yourself every day to do a little better each day.
Free inspirational or motivational posts can be found on the inspirational page of Leslie’s website.